Monday, March 10, 2014

Testing Policies

As I go through emails and messages, it occurred to me that I should probably take the time out to clarify my personal testing process. (This does not apply to agency testing)Testing to me is an important part of my growth as a photographer. I use it to test an idea, a new lighting technique, a new editing process etc... in order to do that I need models who are flexible and patient. As evidenced by my portfolio, I don't generally use new faces to test. I like using models I've worked with before because I know how they work, and they know how I work. But....when I'm looking for new faces, here are some things to keep mind before contacting me.

I don't do free shoots or test shoots with models under the age of 17. I have a problem with 'sexualized' images of young girls, not women, but girls. I don't like to see it, and I'm a stickler for the term 'age appropriate'. Not to say all my concepts are super sexy, but I never know how i'll feel at the time of the shoot and I don't want to be restricted in what I can experiment with. There are very rarely exceptions to this. 

My criteria for choosing a model to test has nothing to do with height, weight, or any other general industry standards. I love faces so all I care about is whether or not I like your facial features, and if your face is expressive. That being said you do have to be an actual model, preferably an experienced one. Since I do a lot of beauty work your face has to be clear, not perfect, but clear. You have to be comfortable with implied at the very least. (See aforementioned thoughts on restricting the process.)

I coach a lot throughout my sessions and for the sake of expediency I tend to not filter what I say, so if you're overly sensitive, then please don't ask me for a test shoot. While I do a lot of coaching I don't want to spend the entire time coaching the model through the entire process. This takes my focus away from whatever techniques I'm working on, for this reason I don't like to use new models in my testing. By new models I mean models who are just starting. If you are too new to have a portfolio, then I will more than likely pass, unless I really, really like your look. In which case I will ask for candid shots from you. ( club pics and party pics do not count as candid so please don't reference me to your Facebook page. Brightly lit, non edited pictures of your face is what I'm looking for.)

Lastly as a general rule of etiquette, if you want me to consider you for testing, email me, or message me. This allows me time for thoughtful consideration as opposed to looking like a douche because I didn't answer your comment immediately. Before I pick models I like to be able to look at your port and consider what I can add to it and whether or not you'll add to mine before I commit to shooting with you. So don't take it personally if it takes me time to answer.  Feel free to ask any questions if there is anything needing clarification. 




No comments:

Post a Comment